Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Working out in an Airport



Dear Skinny Me, 3/17/13

Guess what? I think that I've really turned a corner. I'm becmoing more and more like you every day at least in my mindset! I still have a ways to go physically, but mentally I've grown leaps and bounds.

today was one of those days I want you to NEVER forget. We travelled Illinois for Jimmy's wedding adn today Tricia, Parker, and I are heading hom. We had a 3 hour layover in the Cleveland airport.

I had planned on sleeping, but upon arriving in our terminal, getting the kids food, and getting situated I realized it was a perfect terminal for working out.

We had just come up a really long excalator with stairs in between. The stairs were 4 regular flights cmobined into one as pictured above. That would get my heart rate up for sure. While walking around noticed I could easily wakl laps from one end to the other and there was a section, kind of hidden, where no one was sitting. It was perfect for some lunges and squats.

I was all ready to go. We didn't check bags so I was able to get my Heartrate Monitor and put it on. My goal was to burn 500 calories in 1 hour. I was off.

I started off and decided every time I came to the stairs on my route I would go down and up them. I passed them 2 times a lap, so by the time I was done I went down and up them 12 times.

On on trip up the stairs a lady, on the excalator, told me I made her feel like a slug. She asked how many times I had done it and I told her it was my 9th time up. She asked me why i was doing it and I told her I was getting in an hour cardio workout while waiting for my plane.

Another lady I kept passing finally said to me, "Wow, you are really impressing me. Good Job!" Some people smiled some people gave me weird looks too. At one point I stopped to do lunges and squats. One guy came into the area after I started, but I kept going anyway.

On my way down and up the stairs for the last time I realized I would reach my goal of 500 calories. In fact, in 1:05 minutes, I burned 517 calories!! :) I also realized what a big deal this was for me, which is why I am writing you.

Mormally when i travel I use layovers to sleep and eat. I was legitly tired, but also knew that I wanted to keep on track with my goals and being gone for a weekend. Never forget how exhausted you were and how you still made the choice to workout. I know that deccision has brought me closer to meeting you and I can't wait.

Next, I want you to remember this day because you didn't care what anyone in the airport thought ofy ou. I'm sure you looked pretty goofy doing lunges and squats in an airport and the old you, the one that weighted over 300 pounds, would have stopped the instant that guy walked near where you were, but you didn't and for that I am grateful. Because you didn't stop you got even closer to who you are today. Great job!!

It took courage to workout in the airport, but I did it and I want you to NEVER forget the smile onyour face when you finished a one hour workout in terminal D of the Cleveland airport.

thank you for helping me find my courage. Thank you for helping me make good decisions even when i don't want to. Thank you for picking me up all those times I fell. Thank you for NEVER giving up on me. Thank you for helping me stick with it even when I didn't want to sometimes. Because of you and your courage and passion you have reached your goal and given me much hope that I will join you soon!

Thanks for a great day today-
Love, not so skinny Melissa

PS. Some other great choices I made this weekend were the morning of Jimmy's wedding I went to the gym and worked out for 2 hours and burned 1074 Calories. Normally I would have said, "Hey I'm on vacation. I'll workout when I get home," but I didn't. Also, at the wedding they had the most amazing candy buffet I've ever seen and I didn't have 1 piece. So glad that I am getting stronger in these moments, so I can meet you.

No comments:

Post a Comment